Hello Folks !!!
After all the mind less eating during holiday time , it is time to make some delicious healthy soup which will kick start your mind full eating . In order to do that I am bringing a delicious black bean soup made in the slow cooker and for your meatless monday. I have not blogged for meatless monday for last two weeks because of my busy holiday schedule and crazy crazy baking . Now I am back to my track regular workout , mind full eating and blogging, the holiday season did really get into me this time with parties after parties.
I happen to make this soup last week before the crazy days happened , it was so easy because I literally threw everything in the slow cooker and when I got back from gym there you go delicious , piping hot black bean soup . I had this soup with some avocado , chopped parsley and generous amount of lemon juice, a tiny sprinkle of grated Havarti. This is a very easy recipe to make , if you have soaked beans overnight then the cooking time is only 4 hours other wise you can soak it 30 minutes in hotwater then use it in slow cooker for 6 to 7 hours to make the soup when you get back from work . Again the settings of your cooker varies according to brands , mine is a manual one so I didn’t have time settings instead I kept on high for 4 hours by soaking beans overnight. If you have an electronic one keep timer for 7 hours and when you get back from work then you have a delicious dinner ready
Let’s see how to make this delicious easy to make black bean soup
//embedr.flickr.com/assets/client-code.jsSoaking Time- 6 hours
Cooking Time – 5 to 6 hours
Author- Parvathy V Nair
Dried Black beans – 1 cup (If you want to avoid soaking then use canned black beans you can use 1 1/2 cans )
Onions – chopped 1 tablespoon
Garlic- 2 cloves crushed
Celery- chopped 2 tablespoons
Bay leaves- 2 no
Jalapeno/ Poblano/ Serrano/ Green chilly- chopped one teaspoon , you can increase if you want it to be more spicier Salt- as needed
Lemon juice – as required
Water/ vegetable stock- 2 cups ( may be half cup more as well)
Garnish – chopped avocado , chopped parsley and grated cheese (optional)
1. Soak the beans over night if you are using dried ones , you can also soak it in hot water for 30 minutes for a quick soak . If using canned then make sure to rinse it thoroughly before you use .
2. Now place all the ingredients except lemon juice and which are under garnish in the slow cooker set it to high .
3. Open after 6 hours and the beans would be cooked.
4. Discard bay leaves Take 2 or 3 tablespoons of cooked beans and blend it smoothly . Add this back to the soup you will have a creamy texture without any dairy
5. Check for seasoning add enough salt & lemon juice . Garnish and serve hot . //embedr.flickr.com/assets/client-code.js