Hello folks !!!
This post is going to be the last one for this holiday season . To round up the crazy baking season I am writing a all time favorite a boozy christmas fruit cake studded with tons of dry fruits and nuts , laden with rum , molasses and different spices as well. It was a crazy crazy season my food handlers certification , marathon baking for blog , gifts & charity , birthday month and also gym sessions phew, I literally didn’t have any time during this entire month . Now tons of parties are being lined up one after the other , can’t wait for this crazy season to be over with .
By the way it is so sunny and gorgeous here in southern ontario , unusual for Christmas . We are having the most gorgeous weather of the year , I was in my short skirt with just a sweater on when I was coming back from gym . I don’t want this wonderful weather to be over , seriously can’t get enough of sun. Even though it doesn’t feel like the holiday season I still needed to bake so much for friends and family. This fruit cake can be stored upto a month which means you guys can still enjoy this after the holiday season , but honestly I prefer to eat it right away out of the oven.
So let’s see how to make this delicious , boozy fruit cake
Recipe from my favorite baking book, Joy of cooking by Irma Rombaeur
Prep Time – 2 weeks for soaking the fruits N nuts in alcohol
Cooking Time – 2 or 2 1/2 hours according to your oven temparature
Makes – three 9 inch loaves
Author – Parvathy V Nair
All purpose flour- 2 cups
Baking powder- 1 teaspoon
Baking soda – 1/2 teaspoon
Salt- 1/4 teaspoon
Cinnamon powder- 1 teaspoon
Ginger powder- 1 teaspoon
Grated nutmeg- 1/2 teaspoon
All spice powder- 1/2 teaspoon
Unsalted butter – 1/2 pound or 2 sticks
Dark brown sugar- 2 cups
Large eggs – 6
Dark molasses- 1/2 cup
Orange juice – freshly squeezed of one orange ( do not use packed ones it doesn’t give the taste )
Lemon juice- freshly squeezed of one lemon.
Soaked fruits and nuts in alcohol- 9 cups (don’t reduce that’s the beauty of it )
For an extra kick add half cup dark rum but totally option
Click here to see how to soak fruits N nuts in alcohol
1. Make sure to have all the ingredients to room temperature. Pre heat oven to 300 F and grease your pans keep it ready
2. Sift all the dry ingredients together and keep it aside
3. In a large bowl beat butter until it is very creamy . To get butter to this creamy consistency it is very key to have it softened under room temperature.
4. Slowly add brown sugar to this and beat for 5 minutes
5. Now beat in eggs one by one . A small tip to be noted if the eggs are not at room temperature it might curdle while you add it to the butter and sugar mixture, if my mistake the mixture have curdled don’t worry you can still use it
6. To this beat in molasses , orange juice and lemon juice .
7. Now add the dry ingredients , gradually and mix it slowly
8. Now it’s time to add the fruit mixes . Slowly mix it and add alcohol if you are using extra .
9. Pour the batter into your pans , bake these for 2 1/2 to 3 hours or till an inserted toothpick comes out clean