Hello Folks !!!
The recipe which I am bringing you all today is a very favorite curry of mine , a delicious lip smacking fish curry which is made in my mother in law’s style . My husband is from the southern most part of Kerala , Trivandrum he loves this fish curry any time . Because I am from mid part of Kerala I never knew how to make this curry , I learned this from my MIL after marriage . Unfortunately it was over skype and phone , because I never got a chance to stay and learn all her delicacies live. This curry is a household favorite of ours , I make it often and it’s best eaten with some Kerala style matta rice.
This is a very flavorful curry made with freshly ground coconut , spice powders and tamarind . I can just eat a huge bowl of this curry as it is without any carbs on side 😉 . The fish I have used is Tuna here , you can use mahi mahi , tilapia or mackerel for this type of curry , avoid using small fishes in this curry . Making this fish curry is not at all hard just few ingredients put together makes a perfect fish curry .
Few points to remember while making this curry
1. Use a firm fleshed fish
2. If you have access to coconut oil the curry will taste excellent other wise use regular oil like canola please don’t use olive oil / ghee to make this curry.
3. Using shallots will increase the taste of the curry , if you don’t have it feel free to use regular onions.
Now let’s see how to make this curry
Prep Time – 20 minutes
Cooking Time- 30 minutes
Author- Parvathy V Nair
Mustard Seeds – 1/4 teaspoon
Fenugreek Seeds- 3 to 4 seeds
Tuna Fish – 450 gm diced
Shallots- chopped 1/4 cup
Ginger- chopped 1 teaspoon
Garlic – chopped 1 1/2 teaspoon
Curry Leaves – one sprig
Green chillies – 2 or 3 change according to your spice level
Salt- as needed
Oil- as needed
Grated Coconut- 1/2 cup
Shallot- 1 small
Tamarind – grape size
Red chilly powder – 1/2 teaspoon
Turmeric powder- 1/4 teaspoon
Coriander Powder- 1 teaspoon
1. First grind everything under to grind into a fine paste.
2. In a earthen pot / clay pot or a sauce pan heat oil to this add mustard seeds, when it crackles add fenugreek seeds to it and fry it for a minute
3. Now add onions , ginger and garlic to it , saute it very well till it’s transparent.
4. Now to this add the ground coconut mixture , half cup water and some salt . Cook on medium heat till it boils.
5. Now reduce it to low add fish pieces check for seasoning , if more spice is required add green chillies .
6. Don’t stir using ladle just rotate the pan now in medium flame cover and cook for 10 to 15 minutes or till the gravy is bit thick .
7. Serve hot with rice