Hello Folks !!!
The holiday baking is on at it’s full swing , I love this time of the year. The aroma of freshly baked goodies spreading through out my home is to die for . I am writing this recipe for my dear friend Sonal , as a part of her holiday cookie collection. She tagged me last week requesting for a cookie collection from a bunch of bloggers . I had two cookies in my mind chocolate crinkle and ginger snap , but when I made I liked the crinkles more because it gave a more festive appeal.
Chocolate crinkle cookies are a very festive cookies in which the dark chocolate dough is rolled in generous amounts of icing sugar. It is such a pretty cookie because the dark crinkles will be shown prettily out of the icing sugar . This is a drop cookie in which egg is added and baked for a short time . These cookies are best eaten warm but you can also store these for a week in airtight containers . It is such an addictive cookie my husband ate 5 or 6 right out of the oven. Few things to keep in your mind while you bake these cookies
1. Bring all the ingredients to room temparature , it is very very important otherwise you might not get the short bread consistency
2. Use a good quality chocolate semi sweet or bitter sweet.
3. The baking time can vary according to oven , I baked for 15 minutes even though the original recipe called for 10 minutes . You have to bake the cookies till the crinkles are visible.
Now let’s see how to make these delicious cookies.
Prep Time – 2 hours
Cooking time – 10 to 15 minutes
Makes- 30 cookies
Author- Parvathy V Nair
Unsalted Butter- 4 tablespoons
Semi sweet or bitter sweet chocolate coarsely chopped , you can also use chocolate chips but use a good quality- 240 gms / 8 oz
White sugar- 1/2 cup
Vanilla extract- 2 teaspoons
All purpose flour- 1 1/2 cups
Salt- 1/4 teaspoon
Baking powder- 1/2 teaspoon
Icing sugar/ Confectioner’s sugar- as needed for rolling the cookies
1. Let’s melt the chocolate and butter , you can do it three ways . a) microwave, b) melt on a double boiler , c) melt on stove top on low heat with constant stirring . Melt till the chocolate is smooth without any lumps . If you are microwaving then first keep for 20 sec , stir then keep for 20 sec continue this till the chocolate is melted enough.
2. Now using a hand mixer or a stand alone mixer beat egg & sugar for 5 minutes , it will turn thick and pale now.
3. Now add vanilla extract to it , slightly mix and add the melted chocolate .
4. To this add flour , salt, baking powder and stir till it’s incorporated.
5. The dough will look like a drop consistency , but do not worry cling wrap this dough and keep it in the fridge for 2 hours.
6. Now it will be tight enough to roll into balls .
7. Preheat the oven to 325 F , line a baking tray with parchment paper and keep it aside.
8. Now roll the cookie dough to a smooth small rounds , roll it in icing sugar till it’s covered very well.
9. Bake it for 10 to 15 minutes , or till the crinkles are visible on it..
10. Cool it on a wire rack and enjoy it with some coffee or hot chocolate