Hello Folks !!!
For this meatless monday I am bringing you all a very comforting soothing Indian flavoured soup called Rasam . Rasam is a south Indian style curry/ soup made out of garlic , tomatoes and tamarind which is slightly flavored with whole red chillies , curry leaves and other whole spices . This soup is very suitable to fight diseases during cold weather and it will leave you satisfied if you have it with a portion of rice .
The recipe of this soup pretty simple and straight forward , you can make this really in no time . So if you are looking for some easy recipe for a week day dinner then this soup is perfect for you . In my home we generally serve this soup with rice , some ghee and any kind of vegetable stir fry. Rasam is a very common curry made in any south Indian household . Because of it’s simplicity this is one of my favorite curry , I can literally eat a huge bowl of rice with rasam 😉 . I have not made this using any store bought rasam powders, just few ingredients which were easily available in my pantry.
So let’s see how to make this easy to prepare rasam .
Prep Time – 15 minutes
Cooking Time – 10 minutes
Author – Parvathy V Nair
Tamarind – a small gooseberry size
Cumin seeds- 1/2 teaspoon
Black pepper corn- 1/2 teaspoon
Whole red chilli- 2 or 3
Oil- 1 teaspoon
Mustard Seeds- 1/2 teaspoon
Garlic – 5 to 6 cloves with skin
Green Chilly- 1 or 2
Tomatoes – chopped one small
Asafoetida- a pinch
Salt- as needed
Coriander leaves – for garnish
1. In a bowl soak tamarind in 2 cups of hot water.
2. Now lets make the dry spice mix for rasam . The dry spice mix is made from cumin seeds , black pepper corn and whole red chilli. Take these and dry grind them in a spice grinder and keep it aside .
3. Now extract tamarind juice by squeezing the water out of the soaked tamarind .
4. In a pan place the tamarind juice and one teaspoon spice mix , bring this to a boil.
5. Now in a mortar & pestle slightly mash green chilly and garlic . Do not remove the skin of garlic let it stay there.
6. In a different sauce pan heat oil add mustard seeds to it now add the mashed up garlic & green chilly to it . Saute it well till the raw smell goes away. Add tomatoes to it and saute till it is mushy .
7. Now add the boiled tamarind water to it , salt and asafoetida , check for taste if it needs more spice add some chilly powder (optional).
8. Bring it to one boil , garnish with coriander leaves and serve with rice & ghee .