Hello Folks !!!
Today’s recipe is a Pizza style skillet corn bread , a slight take on the regular corn bread . I have made this corn bread as part of Baking Partners challenge . I was so excited when this month’s theme was a skillet corn bread, because I have always wanted to make it didn’t have a good chance for it . When this month’s challenge was corn bread I was super excited about it . I wanted to make something different unlike the regular sweet / savory corn breads . Instead made a pizza style with tons of veggies in it , avoided using all purpose flour and made it egg less , exciting !!!
I have used flax eggs here instead of regular eggs . You might be thinking what are flax eggs , they are nothing flax powder with water . One regular egg is equivalent to 1 tablespoon flax powder plus 3 tablespoons water. I also avoided using all purpose flour and used amaranth flour instead.
Now let’s see how this delicious skillet corn bread is made
Recipe adapted from
Baking partner monthly challenge
Prep Time- 10 minutes
Cooking Time -50 to 60 minutes depending on the oven
Made – In a 12 inch skillet
Serves- 5 to 6 people
Author- Parvathy V nair
Yellow corn meal- 2 1/4 cups
Amaranth Flour- 1 1/2 cups
Baking Powder – 3 teaspoons
Salt- 2 big pinches
Brown Sugar- 3 tablespoons
Flax egg- 3 (check notes how to make it )
Melted butter – 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons
Grated Carrots- 1/2 cup
Jalapenos – 2 with seeds removed and chopped
Cherry tomatoes- 1 cup halved
Green onions / Scallions/Spring Onions- 1/2 cup chopped
Chopped black olives- 1/2 cup
Butter milk – 2 1/4 cup ( check replacement for substitute)
Grated Cheddar Cheese- 1 1/2 cup ( I used Balderson sharp cheddar , use any kind of good cheddar according to your taste)
1. In a bowl mix cornmeal, amaranth flour , baking , salt and sugar
2. In another bowl make the flax eggs leave it for 3 minutes to this add melted butter , butter milk, and mix well .
3. To this add the dry ingredients , grated carrots , chopped green onions and cheese mix well .
4. Preheat oven to 400 F
5. Now place the skillet on the stove and melt some butter there , it will help to give you crispy edges by the bread.
6. Pour the batter into the skillet , spread tomatoes, olive and jalapenos on top of it . Dot with little butter on top for extra flavor.
7. Bake it in the preheated oven for 50 minutes or till an inserted tooth pick comes out clean.
How to make flax eggs
Mix one tablespoon of flax meal/flax powder with 3 tablespoons of water , that equals to one egg .
Substitute for butter milk
You can mix half cup yogurt and half cup water to make one cup butter milk
This recipe was made as a part of Baking partner challenge