Hello Everyone !!!
Yet another meatless monday is here . On this monday I am bringing you all an easy side dish made out of raw banana and flavored with tons of spices . This is less calorific than potatoes , you can serve it with brown rice , some chicken and it will make a complete meal. We call raw banana “vazhakkai” and mash “podimas” , the regular vazhakkai podimas is just plain flavoured with red chillies , curry leaves and mustard , finished with coconut. So unlike the traditional podimas , I have used an extra kick of spices here and added some greens for to notch up the health quotient. The green which I have used here is fenugreek leaves but you can also add spinach / kale/ swiss chard or any other greens.
Now you might be thinking why use raw banana ?
1. Tons of fiber and a lot of good bacteria good for your gut.
2. Contains starch which can help control blood sugar , manage weight and lower cholestrol levels.
3. High in potassium and Vitamin B
A very easy recipe to make , which doesn’t take much time at all and not a lot of ingredients . This recipe is very different than the regular podimas you make at home , it is entirely my take on this . Let’s read more about the recipe below.
Prep Time – 15 minutes
Cooking Time – 15 minutes
Serves- 3 to 4
Author- Parvathy V Nair
Raw banana/ Green banana- 2 medium sized
Onion – chopped 1 tablespoon
Garlic- chopped 2 cloves
Mustard seeds- 1/2 teaspoon
Red chilli powder- 1 teaspoon (change according to your spice tolerance)
Turmeric Powder- a pinch
Coriander powder- 1 teaspoon
Garam masala- 1/2 teaspoon
Fenu greek leaves/ spinach/ kale/ swiss chard- chopped half cup
Curry leaves- 1 sprig
Salt- as needed
Oil- as needed
1. Using a steamer , steam the raw banana just for 5 minutes . Just be careful not to overcook the raw banana because it will turn too dry.
2. Remove it from the steamer , when it is cool enough peel the skin and mash it using a fork , keep it aside.
3. In a skillet heat oil crackle mustard seeds add onion , garlic and curry leaves fry it well . Now add all the spice powders except garam masala.
4. To this add the greens and little salt , fry it for a minute
5. Now add the mashed raw banana , enough salt and fry for 2 minutes in medium to low heat .
6. Now turn off the flame add garam masala and check for salt , if required add more.