Hello Everyone !!!
Diwali is almost on your doorstep , it’s knocking knocking and tempting all of us to make various types of prasadams during this auspicious day . To celebrate diwali in a sweet way I am bringing you all a delicious , melt in your mouth Besan ladoo . Besan in hindi means chick pea flour and it is an excellent gluten free option to satisfy your sweet tooth. I have adapted recipes from Nishamadhullika.com and Manjula’s kitchen with a lot of convenient changes of mine . I have considerably reduced the amount of sugar from the original recipes , but do feel free to increase if you would like to.
I have a lot of fond memories about this mouth watering sweet . We don’t make Besan ladoo at all in our home because I am originally from Southern part of India . I had my first taste of besan ladoo during my college days , one of my hostel mate bought it from her home after she got back from christmas vacations . It was so delicious and I am sure I gobbled up atleast 5 or 6 at the first time. After that I never had a chance to eat those beauties till one of my aunt ( who is from Mumbai) , made this and puran poli for me when I was leaving for higher studies to UK . I still remember those melt in mouth Besan ladoos I ate during my first week in UK during that cold dry weather. I have always wanted to make these at home but never succeeded , sometimes it will be too thick and powdery , I wouldn’t be able to make balls sometimes it will be too soft I have even ended up eating it just like that LOL. So this year diwali after so many trials and fails , I finally figured out an easy recipe to make these delicious ladoos without much hassle . I have adapted from Manjula’s kitchen and nisha madhullika.com but have made few changes especially the amount of sugar . Please feel free to increase the amount of sugar , now let’s see how these are made .
Prep Time – 10 minutes
Cooking Time – 20 to 30 minutes , excluding the cooling time
Makes- 20 to 25 small ladoos
Author- Parvathy V Nair
Besan / Chick pea flour- 3 cups ( You can use ladoo besan which you get in Indian stores , I used regular one )
Ghee- 1 cup (Melted)
Powdered sugar – 1 cup (I used very less , you can use more sugar if you like to )
Chopped nuts – 1/4 cup (optional)
Cardamom powder – 1/4 teaspoon
1. First powder sugar keep it aside . It is extremely important to use powdered sugar here to get the right consistency , do not use icing sugar.
2. In a heavy bottomed pan heat ghee , when the ghee is hot slowly add besan to it , and keep on stirring . You need to cook this besan for 8 to 10 minutes on medium to low flame without burning . Now add the cardamom powder and nuts . Stir it very well and turn off the flame
3. Now transfer this to another bowl to cool . You need to cool with till you are able to touch it , warm enough but not hot .
4. When the mixture is touchable , add powdered sugar to it mix it very well till combined .
5. Start making balls out of it , if you cannot make the balls don’t worry add more ghee to it . Or if it is too soft keep it in the fridge .