Yet another Meatless Monday is here . This will be my third recipe blogging for them and tons of excitement for that . I have been added to their twitter list , pin board and also have officially got my badge , so excited. To celebrate this joy and happiness I am bringing you all a delicious amaranth & sweet potato patties loaded with greens which are pan fried without deep frying them , so overall not losing the health quotient 😉 . You can make this as a complete meal by serving this with a tomato chutney and side salad , trust me you will be very satisfied . You can also make these patties , freeze them , thaw and use whenever needed.
I have used kale in this patties , but if you cannot get Kale you can use any greens of choice like Spinach. I have used semolina to coat the patties to give it a crunch , you can also use panko/ breadcrumbs to do the same . Now let’s read about some benefits of amaranth and sweet potato before I start writing the recipe
Health Benefits of Amaranth
Picture courtesy : http://cook.nourishevolution.com/2011/03/04/get-a-new-grain-amaranth/
Amaranth is one of the most protein rich foods which are plant based which makes an excellent alternative to meat proteins for vegetarians in their diet. It also contains tons of minerals and fibres than wheat or rice also a good gluten free option.
Health Benefits of Sweet potato
Melt in your mouth vegetable which tastes like dessert this is best description I can give about sweet potatoes. It is full of beta carotene which gives that luscious orange color and full of antioxidants. This vegetable is also recommended by several dietitians and nutritional websites as a substitute to regular potatoes.
Now let’s read how to make these patties and chutney
Prep Time – 15 minutes
Cooking Time – 30 minutes
Makes- 10 to 15 small sized patties
Author- Parvathy V Nair
For the patties
Amaranth- 1/2 cup (it yields one cup of cooked )
Sweet potato- 1 medium
Kale – chopped 1 cup
Onions- chopped 2 tablespoons
Garlic- chopped 2 cloves
Paprika- 1 teaspoon
Lemon juice- 2 teaspoon
Parsley – chopped 1 tablespoon
Semolina, flour and milk- as needed for coating|
Salt- as needed
Water – as needed
Oil- as needed to pan fry the patties
For the tomato chutney
Tomatoes- 3 medium which is really ripe
Onions – chopped 2 tablespoons
Garlic- 2 cloves chopped
Brown sugar- 1 teaspoon
Balsamic Vinegar- 1 teaspoon
Paprika- 1/2 teaspoon
Salt- as needed
For the patties
1. First let us cook the amaranth in one pan and sweet potato in another pan . The ratio for water and amaranth grains is for one cup amaranth one and half water . Cook it tell tender and also cook the sweet potato will tender . This will take about 15 minutes . Cool and mash the sweet potato and keep it aside.
2. In a pan heat some oil then add onions garlic saute it . Now add chopped kale and steam it for few minutes . When it is cooked turn off the heat add paprika , lemon juice , salt and parsley , give it a stir
3. Cool this cooked mixture little bit add it to the mashed sweet potatoes as well . The amaranth would have cooked now strain if any excess water is there then add it to the sweet potato kale mixture. If you find the mixture has too much moisture add some semolina to it and check for seasoning if required add more salt to it.
4. Now make small rounds out of it and flatten it to a pattie shape. First dust it in whole wheat flour , then milk and then the semolina coating .
5. Rest it for 2 to 3 minutes in fridge and pan fry it for 2 minutes a side without burning . If you wish you can also deep fry them .
For tomato chutney
1. In a pan heat oil add chopped onions garlic to it . when it becomes translucent add tomatoes and paprika with little water and cook it for 5 minutes . When it becomes thick add salt and brown sugar cook for another minute or 2 . Turn off the flame and finish with balsamic vinegar .
Serve the patties with tomato chutney and a salad