Yet another meatless monday recipe for you all . I was so excited last week when meatless monday favorited and retweeted my tweet also liked my facebook page . That made me so happy and I was on cloud 9 , because I have been working a lot to grab their attention and finally I got it . So for this monday I thought of bringing another soup recipe , a lip smacking & filling caramelized pear & potato soup . This recipe has been adapted from Gimme some oven by Ali , do check her website to know more delicious recipes. I have tweaked the original recipe by caramelizing the pears , omitted leeks and heavy cream and added some onion to it for an extra flavor.
This delicious pear & potato soup is very comforting and fulfilling to the core . I was so satiated by having this and just a piece of home baked bread and my tummy was so warm LOL. I totally would tell you to go and make this filling soup right away if you are craving for something warm but at the same time not too heavy . If you want to make it more healthier, you can totally skip potatoes and add sweet potatoes in this but you got to be careful the sweet potatoes will make this soup extremely sweet . So if you are using sweet potatoes here instead of potatoes skip the step of caramelizing the pears , but I highly recommend you to use potatoes to get the full flavor in this soup. Now let’s get into the details of making this delicious soup .
Prep Time – 10 minutes
Cooking Time – 30 minutes
Serves- 2 to 3
Author- Parvathy V Nair
Pears – 2 diced
Potatoes – 2 medium sized diced ( I used yukon gold , you can use russet also here )
Garlic- 2 cloves
Onions- 2 tablespoons chopped
Olive oil – 1 tablespoon
Brown sugar – 1 tablespoon
Water/ vegetable stock – 2 to 3 cups
Rosemary – chopped 1 teaspoon
Salt & pepper – as needed
1. First let us caramelize the pear . In a sauce pan heat half tablespoon olive oil to that add diced pears . Sear it for 2 minutes then reduce the heat add brown sugar to it . Cook it till the pear changes into slight brown colour , but be careful not to burn the pear .
2. Take this caramelized pear out of the pan and heat another half tablespoon olive oil in the same pan . To this add onions , garlic and chopped rosemary . Saute this till onion becomes translucent .
3. Now add potatoes saute for 2 minutes. To this add the caramelized pears vegetable stock / water , salt and pepper . Bring this to a boil till the potatoes are cooked
4. When the potatoes are cooked , cool this and puree it in blender.
5. Bring this soup back to the sauce pan , bring to a boil then season it with salt & pepper if needed . If you find there is less sweetness add some more brown sugar to it . ‘
6. Garnish with rosemary and serve with a good crusty bread.