Well officially summer has marked the end , leaves have started to turn into different gorgeous colors and of course the temperature have dropped down so much . Yes we are in the cooler weather now ,which calls for something warm to sip on and keep yourself full . I am bringing a creamy spinach soup to satiate your hunger today and I have made it vegan by not using any heavy cream in it . So you will be thinking what I might have used here , be patient and read on further to know the secret ingredient which has made this green beauty creamy and smooth
I love spinach in any form but never made a puree soup with spinach thinking it might give a lot of after taste. This time to make a dish for meatless mondays I thought to use spinach as the main ingredient and make sure to use it without losing any ingredient . Now you all might be thinking how I might have made this vegan, I will break the suspense now 😉 . I have used potatoes and cauliflower to give the creamy smooth consistency in this soup , using those took this dish to another level . I have used some Indian spices also here to give it a good flavour .
Serve this delicious soup with a warm crusty bread or a bowl of brown rice to make it a complete meal and trust me you are going to love it because it will fill you up without any added fat or preservatives . If you are very calorie conscious substitute the potatoes and use sweet potatoes instead. Now lets get into the method and ingredients about how to make this yummy soup .
Serves- 2 to 3
Prep Time – 10 minutes
Cooking Time- 20 minutes
Author – Parvathy v Nair
Spinach packed – 2 cups
Cauliflower – 1 cup florets
Potato- 1/2 cup cubed
Cardamom- 2 pods
Garlic- 2 cloves
Paprika / Chilli powder- 1/2 teaspoon
Coriander Powder – 1 teaspoon
Dijon Mustard – 1 tablespoon
Salt- as needed
Oil- one tablespoon , some olive oil for garnish
Water- as needed
1. In a sauce pan heat oil , add cardamom and fry for one minute till the flavour has come out
2. Remove the cardamom lower the heat to medium and add the spice powders . Fry it till the spices release an aroma .
3. Now add garlic , cauliflower and potatoes . Fry it for 2 to 3 minutes . Add dijon mustard to it , give it a stir . Now add water to cover the vegetables . Cover it and let the vegetables cook
4. In another pan bring water to boil, add spinach leaves to it and leave it covered for a minute. Strain the spinach leaves , run under cold water . Save the water to use it later on on . Running cooked spinach under water helps you to retain the beautiful green colour
5. Puree this cooked spinach and keep it aside
6. By this time the vegetables would have cooked , cool it and puree it in a blender by adding the saved water during cooking the spinach.