This time I am bringing you all a savoury galette. I have joined a new facebook group called baking partners which is administered by Swathi Iyer of Zesty South Indian Kitchen. They have monthly challenges there which are exciting recipes to try and you can modify according to your taste buds . This month our challenge for baking partners was galette , so I made a savory galette for that instead of a sweet one . So what is a galette , I had to brush my basics before I started doing this :p . This challenge was much needed for me to help me to get over my baking fear .
A galette consisits of a flat crust of pastry or bread dough covered with sugar, pastry cream or thin layer of fruit. Most galettes are more simply made and it has a very rustic look. Since galettes are baked on a flat sheet other than a pie mould , we can shape this galette in any shape we prefer to. If the filling is juice , bring the edge of the crust over the filling to catch drips ; otherwise , simply double up the crust edge , then crimp or flute if you wish. We need to keep just one thing in our mind that the topping should be spare so as not to overwhelm the crust .
The recipe which I have used here is being adapted from Baking partners challenge as well as Joy of cooking by Irma S Rombaeur. I have made a savory galette here with a filling of caramelized corn and tomato flavored with some thyme . I am so proud to mention that the tomatoes and thyme are grown in my home garden. I have not used any cheese in this , first I thought I should but the corn got very caramelized and it gave an amazing texture to the filling , when it was inside the pastry it was delectable . Let’s get into how to make the galette now.
Yields- One 6 ” pie
Prep time – one hour
Cooking time – 30 minutes
Author- Parvathy V nair
For the pastry
All purpose flour- 1/2 cup
Cornmeal- 1/4 cup
Butter – chilled 1/4 cup
Salt- 2 pinches
Ice cold water – as needed
For the filling
Corn – one husked and kernels removed
Onion – half of a medium sliced
Garlic- chopped one clove
Parsley- chopped one tablespoon
Tomato – one or two small cut into rounds
Thyme- 2 or 3 sprigs
Salt- as needed
Black pepper- as needed
1. In a bowl mix flour , cornmeal and salt keep it aside .
2. Next step is to cut in the butter to the flour . The butter should remain chilled that’s what makes this pastry flaky . I didn’t have a pastry cutter handy so I used a food processor , explaining how I did it below
First cut the butter into small cubes , then add the flour mix to your food processor and add the butter to it quickly pulse it 3 to 4 times. The mixture will represent like small pea sized granules .
3. Transfer this to a bowl and add ice cold water one tablespoon each . You should add water till the flour can hold together . So add one tablespoon each to keep a control on the water amount , otherwise the pastry might turn very soggy.
4. When the mixture holds together only using your palms slightly knead it . Knead it starting from the centre and towards the end. Knead only for 5 to 6 minutes because we don’t want the gluten to for m so much .
5. Make this into a round shape , cling wrap it and keep it in fridge for 30 minutes to relax the gluten.
6. Preheat oven to 350 F and line a baking tray with parchment paper
7. Now lets make the filling . In a pan heat oil , saute onion, garlic and parsley . Saute till the onions are browned now add corn and reduce heat . Sprinkle some salt and pepper and saute for 10 minutes or till the corn slightly caramelizes . Turn off the flame and keep the corn to cool off very well , literally stone cold other wise when you place it on the rolled pastry it will melt 😉
8. After 30 mins take the dough out of the fridge and slightly dust a surface , roll out the dough to a 6 inch pastry . Now place the corn mixture in the middle and place some tomatoes and fold the sides. Feel free to fold in any shape you want that’s the beauty of a galette !!.
9. Sprinkle some thyme on top and bake it for 30 minutes or till the crust turns golden brown
10. Take it out , cool and cut into pieces.