Hello Everyone !!!
Can you all guess which vegetable grew abundantly in my home garden . Yes it is nothing other than Zucchini.I have been having a hard time in finishing this vegetable pheww . I made chutney, curries , parathas , baked breads and even had gluten free pasta using zucchini , but I still had so many of those humongous ones left over :p . I wanted to make something for my blog using zucchini but I wanted that to be something healthy , yes I know the health freak in me didn’t want to eat something deep fried or high in carb . So I decided to make a pulao using zucchini and millet .
The millet which I have used here is Kodo millet (which is called Varagu is tamil) , but you can use any kind of millet available in the market. The recipe is a very simple recipe which does not require much chopping at all and you can put together this pulao within an hour. It is a very easy one pot meal which is very healthy and can be made in no time . This dish is an excellent gluten free option and you can serve this with some yogurt , there you have a complete meal.
I have used very less oil in this pulao , avoided using fried onions/fried dry fruits but I have used a lot of whole masalas to give that wonderful smell so that there is no compromise in the taste. Only thing you need to keep in mind is that you need to soak millets for 30 minutes in water then cook and also keep a watch while you make this pulao so that you are not getting a mushy goop . So now let’s get into the details of how to make this delicious pulao
Preparation time – 30 minutes
Cooking Time- 15 minutes
Serves – 4
Author- Parvathy V Nair
Millet ( Kodo Millet or any kind of millet available in market )- 1 cup
Zucchini- 1 medium sized chopped
Onions – half of one medium sized , sliced
Ginger- chopped one teaspoon
Garlic- Chopped 1 1/2 teaspoons
Green Chillies- 1 or 2 according to the spice level you require
Bay leaf- 1 or 2 if small or one big
Cinnamon – 2 small half inch pieces
Cloves – 2 or 3
Green Cardamom- 2 or 3
Salt- as required
Cilantro- for garnish
Cooking oil- as needed , you can use ghee as well to give a good fragrance
1. Soak millets for 30 minutes in hot water and keep it aside
2. In a pan heat oil/ ghee fry the whole spices till it becomes fragrant, then add onion , ginger , garlic and green chillies fry it till the raw smell goes.
3. Now strain the soaked millet and keep it aside , add this to the sauteed onions and saute it for 30 seconds
4. Now add the chopped zucchini to it and saute for another 30 seconds
5. Now reduce heat to medium and add water to it . The ratio is for one cup millet almost 2 1/2 cups water . Add water in this ratio and enough salt , close with lid and cook for 20 minutes or till the millet is cooked
6. Garnish with cilantro and serve hot