Hello Everyone !!!
This time on crackleandtemper I am bringing you all another delicious tea time snack which is very famous in southern Kerala . I also have an exciting announcement to make with this post . I have joined a group of wonderful bloggers called Culinary Hoppers and this is the first entry of mine to the group . Culinary hoppers consists of these talented bloggers Jayashree , Anupama, Sonal , Shailja, Swati, Padma, Piyali, Vani and Shubha . I am so happy and excited to be a part of this wonderful team and looking forward to learn so much from you all . For my first post here I am bringing a very famous southern kerala tea shop snack called vettu cake .
Vettu in malayalam means cut , as you can see in the picture there is a cut on the top . This is actually a very kerala version of cake with the only difference of it being fried and bit denser than the regular cake. These cakes were fried because there was no concept of oven in Kerala and frying was the best way to cook these little beauties. It is a popular tea stall snack found only in rural Kerala , it is very difficult to find this snack in urban cities in Kerala.
I have a lot of good old childhood memories about this snack . My mom who was a school teacher used to buy this from small tea shops when she got back from her work . The vettu cake wrapped in malayalam news papers , it would have a good smell to it and eating them on a rainy day with a cup of chaya (malayalam word for tea ) . With all those nostalgic memories I am bringing you all this favourite recipe of mine.
Preparation Time – 15 minutes
Cooking Time – 15 to 20 minutes depending on the quantity the deep frying time might increase
Author- Parvathy V Nair
All purpose Flour- 1 cup
Sugar- 1/4 cup
Cardamom- 1 pods
Baking Soda- 1/2 teaspoon
Salt- a pinch
Oil – as needed to deep fry
1. In a bowl mix flour , baking soda and salt keep it aside .
2. Now let us powder the sugar and cardamom pods , keep it aside.
3. In a bowl beat the egg either using a fork or a beater . Beat the egg till it is frothy
4. Now add the powdered sugar to it and beat it till it is mixed
5. Slowly add flour little by little till it forms a firm dough , if required you can add couple tablespoons extra flour to make the dough. Make a round out of the dough and keep it aside to rest for 15 minutes.
Now start cutting this log into small triangle shapes.
Make a slit on the ends of these small triangles . This slit is called vettu in malayalam .
7. Heat oil in to deep fry . You can also use your deep frier to do this . Make sure the oil should be hot first then reduce it to medium and fry it . If the oil is too hot the cakes will burn . The texture of these cakes are bit to the dense side . Enjoy these cakes with hot tea