Hello Everyone !!!
Today I am bringing you all a fiery North African spice mix called Harissa . The recipe is being adapted from Joy of cooking by Irma S Rombauer . This spicy mix can be made into a paste and stirred into black olives , seafood stews , soups, herb salads and vegetable dishes or can be used as a dry ingredient in sauces or as dry rubs for meats . The harissa sauce is made out of this spice mix , garlic paste and oils such as olive oil or any vegetable oil. Next to sriracha and ketchup Harissa is another versatile condiment which is popular worldwide and it is also a great substitute to hot sauce. I made a spice mix instead of a sauce to use it for various purposes , you can also make a sauce out of this mix instantly which I will explain in the end . The usage of harissa sauce is endless , you can use this on pizza , chicken wings , sandwiches or salads. This is such an easy spice mix to make with few ingredients which is available in your pantry .
Preparation time – 5 minutes
Cooking time – 10 minutes
Yields – 1/2 cup powder
Author- Parvathy V Nair
Cumin Seeds- 2 teaspoons
Coriander seeds- 2 teaspoons
Caraway Seeds (Shahi Jeera)- 1/2 teaspoon
Dried chilli – 4 tablespoons chopped
Smoked Paprika – 2 teaspoons (if you don’t have that use Kashmiri red chilli powder
Salt- 1 teaspoon
1. In a pan lightly toast cumin seeds , coriander seeds and caraway seeds just till it becomes fragrant .
2. Roughly chop the red chillies and keep it aside
3. In a spice grinder or in a mixie keep all the seeds and chilli , pulse it couple of times
4. To this mixture add paprika and salt, the spice mix is ready
5. To make a harissa sauce , place 2 tablespoons of this mix , one garlic clove and one tablespoon olive oil in a food processor and pulse it