Hello Everyone !!!
Crackleandtemper is celebrating this rakshabandhan with a delicious and indulging Egyptian sweet which is called Basbousa . I am dedicating this recipe to my sweet loving brother, happy rakhi my little brother . This sweet is made of semolina , yogurt , sugar and butter which means this is totally an eggless recipe !!!. I love semolina in any form both in sweet or savory form so for rakhi I had to make something out of semolina.
Basbousa is a very famous Egyptian sweet , I have had it first time while I was working in middle east. This sweet brings back a lot of good memories for me especially indulging on these with some turkish coffee ,one piece of basbousa and the strong turkish coffee , it was divine . This sweet is made very very sweet to have it with bitter coffee . While you bite into this, the sugar syrup oozes out of it and a sip of the coffee balances this sweetness. To enjoy this beauty to it’s fullness you need to have a very strong bitter coffee with that 😉 . It is such an easy recipe to make and it is not at all labour intensive and will give you the result you want . You can also flavour this cake with any flavours of your choice . Some suggested flavours are cinnamon , cardamom or any citrus fruits . I have used oranges to flavor this cake which took the regular basbousa to another level. So not talking much about the dish let’s get into cooking this delectable dessert.
Preparation Time – 10 minutes
Cooking Time – 45 minutes
Author – Parvathy V Nair
Coarse Semolina – 2 cups
Almond flour – 1/4 cup
Yogurt- 1 cup
Sugar- 1 cup
Unsalted butter melted- 1/2 cup and some to brush on the baking dish
Milk- 1/3 cup
Baking Powder- 1 teaspoon
Almonds- few for garnish
For the orange flavored syrup
Sugar- 2 cups
Water – 1 cup
Freshly squeezed orange juice – 1 cup
1. Preheat the oven to 350 F
2. Melt the butter in microwave and keep it aside . Prepare a 9″ round baking pan by greasing it with little butter.
4. To this add all the other ingredients and mix till smooth .
6. Bake it in the oven for 45 minutes or till an inserted toothpick comes out clean .
7. While the cake is baking we can make the sugar syrup . In a pan rapidly boil sugar and water , when it is boiling really faster stir it with a spoon . Then turn off the flame add squeezed orange juice to it . If you don’t want a very sweet basbousa you can reduce the amount of sugar syrup.
8. Let the sugar syrup cool very well . Take out the cake from the oven after it is done and to this hot cake pour the cool syrup . It is very important that the cake has to be hot to absorb all the sugar syrup to it .
9. Wait till the cake cools down , garnish with almonds cut into squares and keep in fridge overnight and next day serve warm or cold .