Hello Everyone !!
I am so excited to bring this dish to you all , this dish is very close to my heart and we make this often at our home back in kerala as well as here . Me and hubby is a great fan of any curries which has a tangy taste and we love to eat just this curry with rice and appalam ( South Indian style Papad). I have always wanted to make this curry for my blog but I never got a chance to do that. Then kaboom there it comes , the ingredient for ingredient of the week is Eggplant (Happy dance), and I knew I had to make this curry then 😉
Let me translate the words for you all
Kathirikka – Eggplant (we normally use small eggplants back in India )
Puli – Tamarind
At my home my mother makes this tamarind based curry with so many vegetables like long beans , drumsticks , eggplant or amaranth. It is an extremely delectable and mouthwatering curry which you can serve with some rice and gobble it up. This is an excellent vegan and gluten free option and it is low in calories . We all know eggplant eats up all the oil in the world but I have used only one teaspoon oil in this curry to temper and then I boiled the eggplant in water , trust me it tastes the same and not the added up calories in it . I have only used simple masalas in it like chilly powder , turmeric powder and coriander powder nothing else . So not much to talk about this let’s get into cooking this deliciousness.
Preparation Time – 15 minutes
Cooking Time – 15 minutes
Serves – 4
Author- Parvathy V Nair
Eggplant – 1 medium sized (if using small eggplant use 4 to 5 numbers )
Onions – 1 medium sized chopped
Ginger- chopped 1 teaspoon
Garlic- chopped 1 teaspoon
Grated coconut- 1/4 cup
Curry leaves- one sprig
Mustard Seeds- 1 teaspoon
Whole red chillies- 3 to 4
Fennel seeds – 1/4 teaspoon
Tamarind- a small grape size
Turmeric powder- 1/4 teaspoon
Paprika – 1 teaspoon (Increase more if you need more heat)
Coriander powder- 1 teaspoon
Salt- as needed
Coconut Oil- as needed (feel free to use any oil of your choice)
1. Dice eggplants and immerse in salt water for half an hour .This is to remove the raw taste from eggplants also it helps in cooking the eggplants faster. Soak tamarind in one cup of hot water and extract tamarind pulp.
2. In a pan heat 1/2 teaspoon oil , add fennel seeds to it and add 3/4th of the chopped onions . Saute till the onions becomes translucent. Keep this sauteed onions aside and let it cool
3. When this mixture have cooled grind with coconut and some water . Grind it to very smooth .
4. Heat oil in a pan crackle mustard seeds ,add whole red chillies and curry leaves to it.
5. To this add ginger , garlic and rest chopped onion . Fry till the ginger garlic is cooked and onion is transparent .
6. Add the eggplants to it ,make sure to drain it very well . Saute it for few seconds then add some water to it (I added half cup water ) . Wait till the eggplant cooks then add all the masalas , salt and tamarind extract and bring to a boil.
7. Now add the ground coconut mixture , cook for 5 to 7 minutes or till the raw smell goes from the coconut . Now check for salt if required add more . Serve hot with rice and appalam