Hello Every one !!!
Today I am bringing you all a mouthwatering kerala style side dish Raw Jackfruit Thoran ( Raw Jackfruit stir fry with Coconut). During summer time in Kerala ( A southern state in India) we have an abundance of Jackfruit and Mangoes . The season starts from mid of March to end of May or till the monsoon starts . Jackfruit is a very special fruit for us Keralites and we pretty much use every part of that fruit to make curries , stir fries and even desserts too . We start from using the tender ones to the ripe ones and also the seeds as well. Few dishes made in Kerala using various parts of Jackfruit is as follows
1. Raw Jack fruit- stir fries , curries
2. Ripe Jack Fruit – various sweet and sour curries
3. Jack fruit seeds- A fry very similar to potato wedges
4. Ripe Jack fruit- Puddings and steamed dumplings
Since I couldn’t find a fresh tender and raw jackfruit , I used frozen Jackfruit bought from Indian Store. Any Asian or Indian store will sell this fruit in many forms raw or ripe , fresh or frozen.
This is a very simple dish to make and it is a very staple food during summer time in Kerala households. Thoran in malayalam means just a simple stir fry and this thoran made like this tastes exactly like chicken . This thoran is deliciously tempered with mustard seeds and red chillies and finally flavoured with some grated coconut .
Prep Time – 15 minutes , if using frozen Jackfruit then 30 minutes to thaw it
Cooking Time – 10 minutes
Serves- 4 people
Method – Easy
Author- Parvathy V Nair
Raw Jackfruit- chopped 1 1/2 cups
Onion – medium sized half chopped
Garlic- 2 cloves chopped
Mustard seeds- 1 teaspoon
Whole red chilly – 2 or 3 (If you don’t have that feel free to use green chilly)
Turmeric powder- 1/4 teaspoon
Garam Masala- 1/4 teaspoon or more if required
Curry leaves- 2 sprigs
Grated Coconut- 2 or 3 tablespoons , if using frozen make sure to thaw it very well.
Salt- as needed
Oil- as needed
1. Heat oil in a pan crackle mustard seeds and add whole red chillies . Then add onions and garlic , fry it for few minutes till it become transparent . Now add the chopped Jack fruit to it and some curry leaves
2. Saute the Jackfruit for 5 to 8 minutes . Then add the masalas and salt to it . Let it saute for another 5 minutes or till the jackfruit is cooked. When Jackfruit is cooked add grated coconut to it .
3. Stir it well , check for salt add more if needed . Finish by adding a teaspoon of coconut oil on top and some more curry leaves.