Hello All !!!
Cleanse your bodies with wholesome salads with DFT team this week !!!
This week at DFT we are presenting you all a wonderful array of mouthwatering salads . Please do check the entire post to know more details about my recipe and more yummy other recipes.
I am a big salad lover , in fact I can eat salads at any time of the day and it satisfies me . I love to try and experiment with a lot of different ingredients in my salads . I usually make my salads with the available ingredients inside my fridge instead of going to grocery. For this week’s DFT blogging , I wanted to do a different kind of salad with ingredients available at home . I had so much kale grown in my backyard and it was calling me daily to use it up for something else other than stir fry . I also had some eggplants which I bought over the weekend to make some south Indian style curry . I happen to make a salad couple of weeks back using cashew and habanero pepper dressing . Since then I always wanted to make this dressing for my blog and here I got a chance to do that for DFT. This salad also has a lot of superfoods like kale , lemon , eggplant and cashews . I will be explaining in the foot notes about the nutritional value of the ingredients . Again you have to remember one key thing here “PORTION CONTROL IS KEY”
Kale Leaves- 4 to 5
Long eggplant – 1
Onion – Chopped one tablespoon
Cucumber- chopped one tablespoon
Lemon juice- 3 tablespoons
Pecan nuts- 3 to 4 for garnish (optional)
Salt- as needed
For Dressing ( serves 5 to 6 times , can be stored in the fridge upto 2 weeks )
Raw Cashewnuts- 1/2 cup
Habanero pepper- 1
Olive oil – 2 tablespoons
Water- 1/4 cup
Salt- As needed
5. Place cucumber , onions and eggplant in a bowl . Add 2 tablespoons of dressing to it and some chopped parsley
6. Mix it well garnish with pecan nuts (optional) and serve
Super foods included in the salad
1. Kale – This super green food is packed with a lot of nutrients and I have used raw kale here which has maintained all the nutrients in it . Few of the health benefits of kale includes improving blood glucose control in diabetics, lowering the risk of cancer, lowering blood pressure, improving bone health and lowering the risk of developing asthma
2.Eggplant- Another excellent super food with low carb and low glycemic index with ton loads of fibre . An entire 1 1/4 pound of eggplant only consists of 110 calories with a fibre content of 18.6 grams , even though it contains contains 26 grams of carb in 1 1/4 pound of eggplant those are of low glycemic index and which helps in controlling diabetes.
3. Cashewnuts- It is reccomended to eat 2 ounces of cashewnuts a day is beneficial for people with type 2 diabetes by lowering bad cholestrol levels and improving blood sugar control. I have used 2 table spoons of dressing here which contains hardly an ounce of cashew . If you keep up with this amount , you can have this salad as it is or as a side dish for a grilled chicken breast
Please refer these websites for more details
I am not a nutritionist or a dietician. My knowledge and information is based on my research and reading from different resources. Please consult your doctor before making any changes to your diet
Pleas do check these yummy recipes from our DFT salad week .
1. Chahat’s Morrocan Carrot and Orange Salad
2. Apsara’s Red quinoa salad with Lemon Tahini dressing
3. Anu’s Lettuce wrap with Tzatziki sauce
4. Prachi’s Mediterranean Barley Salad
Mediterranean Barley Salad
5. Shailja’s Garbanzo Bean salad
6. Sonal’s Asian Mung sprout salad with peanut ginger dressing
7. Swati’s Bulgur wheat salad /Tabbouleh
8. Suchi’s Fenugreek Sprouts salad