Hello Everyone !!
I am very excited to write about this recipe here . This month’s local ingredient from live green Toronto are strawberries . It is that time in Ontario where the extremely sweet strawberries are grown and harvested . When they announced the star ingredient of the month , I wanted to make a kheer (sweet rice pudding) or a tangy chutney . Since those two dishes are extremely common I wanted to do a dish which I love so much and with slight twist in it , and here I present you all strawberry phirni. It is sweet , tangy and refreshing also it is a very refreshing dessert to cool off this summer heat.
Phirni is a very typical north indian dessert which is very similar to rice pudding . The differences from rice pudding and phirni is , in pudding whole rice is used some times but in phirni it is coarsely ground, phirni is flavoured with cardamom and saffron but a rice pudding is not. I had phirni for the first time in my life at my college food festival during my first year . We had a kashmiri them and the dessert served was a creamy chilled phirni in earthen pots in the traditional way . I had to modify my serving style here because I didn’t have small earthen pots available on hand ;).
I loved the slightly sweet and tart taste of this dessert which can be served on a summer day . I didn’t use saffron here because the pureed strawberries did gave it a beautiful color. I have flavoured this phirni with crushed cardamom and rose water . The preparation is time consuming but while you taste it , it’s totally worth it .
Basmati Rice- 1/2 cup
Whole milk- 2 1/2 cups and 2 to 3 tablespoons to grind the rice
Strawberries- 10 or 12 hulled and cut into pieces
Sugar- 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons to make strawberry puree
Lemon juice– 1 tablespoon
Cardamom – 2 to 3 pods crushed
Rose water – 1 teaspoon (optional)
1. Soak basmati rice for one hour in water , then drain and keep it aside.
2. While the rice is draining we can prepare the strawberry puree . Place the cut strawberries , sugar and lemon in a pan and bring it to a boil
5. Now bring the milk to boil . when it is boiled thoroughly add the ground rice mixture to it .
6. Cook this mixture on medium heat by stirring constantly. You need to cook it atleast 20 to 30 minutes or more till it thickens like this
7. Add crushed cardamom and rose water to it keep it in the fridge to chill for 15 minutes . Now take it out add the cooled strawberry puree to it . Please do keep one thing in mind never add strawberry puree to hot milk the tartness will curdle the milk
8. Serve chilled