Starting from this week I will be blogging diabetic friendly recipes on every thursday. I joined a group of wonderful bloggers who does this for a cause big thanks to Sonal for showing interest in me . As part of that this week’s theme is Mexican and you can find a lot of yummy recipes here
We all love Mexican food right and most of us do recreate that at home as well . But at times I do withheld from making it because of carb and cheese content in it . I have been looking for a lot of low carb options and I have been making a lot of things using quinoa . When the Mexican idea started I wanted to make something simple, full of flavor but a low carb option. Thus I decided in making lime cilantro quinoa which is similar to lime cilantro rice normally served in Mexican restaurants. This dish is very simple , easy to make and can be whipped up in no time . I will be adding more about quinoa , its nutritional facts and calorie content will be in my foot notes below
Suggested serving for one person- 1/2 cup cooked quinoa
Prep Time – 5 minutes
Cooking Time- 15 minutes
Quinoa- 1/2 cup uncooked it yields 1 cup cooked quinoa
Olive Oil- 1/2 tablespoon
Water- 2 1/2 cups
Salt- as needed
Lime juice- half a lime
Cilantro Chopped- 2 tablespoons
1. Wash quinoa very well and strain it . It might have the bitter tasting saponin coating (source:wikipedia) which occurs naturally . It might give a bitter taste if you don’t wash it well.
2. Heat a pan , add some olive oil to it , and add the drained quinoa to it . Fry it for a minute.
3. Add water to it and bring it to a boil . When the quinoa is cooked three fourth then add salt to it and cover it . Then cook for 5 minutes on medium heat. Quinoa should be cooked now , take it out of the stove and fluff it out using a fork . This will prevent quinoa from sticking to each other
Quinoa is a complex carb with low glycemic index. It is recommended to consume low to medium GI carbs for diabetes so that it doesn’t spike the blood sugar. Also the dietary fibre content is very high in Quinoa which is 7 grams per half cup. So eating in controlled portions is also key which means not going more than half cup cooked Quinoa.
Another super food in this dish is cilantro . This wonderfully aromatic herb also helps in managing diabetes . It also helps in flushing out toxins . In several parts of south India , it is a habit in households to drink water boiled with coriander seeds.
Another diabetes superfood here is lime . According to american diabetes association citrus fruits have high levels of soluble fibre in it which will help in managing diabetes
Please do refer these websites for further details
I am not a nutritionist or a dietitian. My knowledge and information is based on my research and reading from different resources. Please consult your doctor before making any changes to your diet
Do check these yummy recipes which we are bringing to all of you
1. Srividhya’s Zero oil vegetarian chilli
2.Chahat’s Creamy chicken enchiladas
3. Prachi’s Sopes Vegetarian
4. Anupama’s Curried sweet potato fajitas
5. Shailja’s Tex mex black beans, brown rice and veggie bowl
6.Apsara’s Spicy jalapeno cornbread muffins
7. Sonal’s Vegetable Fajitas platter
8.Swati’s Quinoa and bean bites
9.Suchi’s Healthy Tacos